Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Off and Running

It was a lovely day on Sunday so we decided to go treasure hunting again. With the current price of gas we didn’t really want to go too far though, and by the time we actually left, it was just as well that I had picked out a few nearby geocaches.


We started out in Oxford Mills. There is a little dam there and the cache was in that area. There were some guys launching canoes into the fast flowing water so we watched that for a while before proceeding to hunt for the cache. It’s always a good idea not to have extra people around watching what you are doing when searching for a cache, but it didn’t take long for them to be swept off down the river.




That cache ( GC1YXVZ ) wasn’t difficult to find at all, and we picked up a handy dandy tool that will now live in my geocaching bag. It is built like a jack knife, but with screw drivers and other tools on board instead of just knives. I’m sure it will come in handy sooner or later.

The second geocache ( GC2G52Y ) took us to an area we had never explored before, just on the edge of Kemptville. The Agroforestry Education Center, which is part of the Kemptville Campus of the University of Guelph has a Maple Sugar Shack which is open to the public during sugaring season. We were, of course too late for that this year, but the sap lines are still in place. We may make a point of going there next year to purchase some syrup. The trails through the woods are well maintained and there are several different loops to follow.
Currently both Trillium and Dog Tooth Violets are blanketing the forest floor. This cache was also easy enough to find, though it was off the trail a bit.

The third cache ( GC2HCX3 ) we looked for was not so easy. There were some obvious places to look, but we didn't find anything. We eventually gave up as I was getting tired. We decided we could go back some other time. I took a few photos of that area which I won’t show you. When I looked at them at home I knew exactly where the cache was. Funny thing was, I actually looked at that spot while I was there, thought it strange, and then didn’t actually investigate it as well as I should have. I’m now sure I know exactly where the cache is hidden, but I will have to go back to figure out how to get at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment