Thursday, May 12, 2011

Meeting on the Street

The other day there was a woman and a small group of girls of assorted ages coming down my street. This got my attention as I didn't know any of them and they kept stopping and doing something.  Little girls were running up onto doorsteps, but didn't seem to be knocking on doors, so that also seemed curious. 

When they got in front of my place, I saw that they had a spray can, and a stencil.  They put the stencil on the road and sprayed it, then carried on to another spot near the end of my driveway.  That was all I could take. I decided to go out and see what they were doing. 

The stencil was that of a fish with the words, "Fresh Water Only" on it, and the woman seemed quite pleased that I had come to find out what they were up to. She directed one of the girls to try to explain it to me.  Basically, they were putting these signs next to the storm sewer drains to alert people not to pour toxic substances down them as the water flows into the river and my kill the fish.  I gathered that they were Brownies, Guides and Venturers.

I asked if it was the Guides or the Scouts that placed the Geocache just down the road. The oldest girl beamed and said it was the Venturers, and she was one of them.  I told her about my Christmas Eve first to find expedition and she was trilled as she remembered reading my comments. She asked if I took and left something, or just signed the book. I said I usually take and leave things, but since there were travel bugs in that cache at the time, and I wasn't going caching again until the weather was more cooperative (like lately) I decided not to take anything that time.  I didn't want new travel bugs to stall right off the bat. 

I told her that I have shown other local people how to find this cache, so that they may become interested in geocaching too.  She liked that idea.  I didn't happen to mention that I blogged about it, but I'm sure she'd have loved that. 

Nice to meet someone on the other side of the fence.  I really must place a cache myself one of these days. I know just the place too.

No comments:

Post a Comment