Wednesday, August 3, 2011

No Stone Cold Creamery, But Lots of Stone

According to Tim Hortons website, Elgin, Ontario, is one of their locations with a Stone Cold Creamery. That isn't true, (see A Bit of False Advertising Leads to Adventure).  We suspected we wouldn't find a Tim Horton's there, but decided to go geocaching in that direction, just to check it out.  Elgin has no Stone Cold Creamery and no Tim Hortons, and is, as always, just a quiet little village where you wouldn't expect to find such things anyway. 

There are 4 churches there, and a library, and we had to visit each of those in our search for caches.





I must point out that one of the churches now appears to be a home. Can you imagine living in this lovely place?










The library had a cache of it's own, which wasn't hard to find. The dates found at the churches were used to plug into a puzzle to give us the location of the actual cache. Unfortunately, when we got there, there was too much poison parsnip along the trail and I refused to venture in.




A few other caches in the area were down the Cataraqui Trail.  While we found no Stone Cold Creamery that day, we certainly found lots of stone.  When poking about in the rocks in this area, be prepared to come across snakes. I see from some of the cache logs other saw lots of snakes. I found a rather large snakeskin.  While I kind of like snakes, I was just as happy not to have been surprised by the previous owner of this skin.  Anyway, it's a pretty trail to walk, and I'm glad we got the opportunity.

We also gathered caches at the usual couple of graveyards.  We met up with some other geocachers at one near Crosby. ( GC1NMC8 )  They were from Ottawa, but had biked to the cemetery from a cottage in the area.  It took a real team effort to find this cache.  I didn't understand the term "degrees true" in the instructions, but one of the guys had a GPS that showed that.  Mine does not.  So that helped, but still nobody was having any luck locating the actual cache container. 

That's when I let go of the GPS and decided to use my "Spidey Sense" to locate it.  That worked well for me and I amazed everyone by finding it with seconds, even though others had looked in that location.  Sometimes you have to stop thinking so much and just go with instinct.

It was a good day, even if we didn't get any ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment